Hallowed Ground Lantern Tour
Intriguing New Bern history,
a lovely park setting,
& talented local actors
in one magical evening!
March 23 - 25, 2023
6 - 9 pm
at New Bern Battlefield Park
The New Bern Historical Society’s newest storytelling event, the Hallowed Ground Lantern Tour, returns! This poignant program combines intriguing New Bern history, the natural beauty of New Bern Battlefield Park, and talented local actors in one magical evening.
You will be taken on a 60-minute guided, lantern-lit walk through the wooded battlefield trails, where spirits from New Bern's Civil War past will share their inspiring stories of courage and conviction. You will hear from:
◦ A devoted wife who bravely fought disguised as a man
◦ A tale of friends who found themselves on opposing sides of the war
◦ An influential freedwoman who was instrumental in the recruitment of Black soldiers
◦ A skilled nurse who was also a plucky Confederate spy
◦ Music and tales about daring escapes via the Underground Railroad
Not a battlefield tour or a program about the war, these are poignant human stories of the experiences of civilians, soldiers, formerly-enslaved persons, and others. These gripping narratives are largely based on letters, diaries, and contemporaneous accounts.
This event is by advance reservation only, with entrance for a specific day and time slot. Reservations open February 10 here or at the New Bern Historical Society, 511 Broad Street, New Bern; phone 252.638.8558. Ticket cost is $16 for Historical Society members/active duty military/students and $20 for general public.