Assistant to the Director
New Bern Historical Society
July 11, 2022
The New Bern Historical Society is looking for a committed professional to join our team of two full-time and two part-time employees. We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit with over 1000 members, with the mission to celebrate and promote New Bern's history through events and education. You can learn more about our rewarding mission by reviewing our website.
Despite the administrative title, the position is essentially the Historical Society Operations Manager -- a demanding job at the center of this very hard-working organization. The position is for four days/32 hours a week (in the office) with periodic evening and weekend requirements. Pay is $16-$17/hour. Includes nine paid holidays; no PTO or medical benefits.
- Committee meeting schedules, agendas, notes, spreadsheets, after-action reports, and transition files
- Sponsorship solicitation, tracking, and acknowledgement
- Signage and graphics production
- Reservations, ticketing, check-in
- Coordination of venues and logistical/operational details
- Volunteer coordination and scheduling
Manages the Marks and Taylor Scholarship program, including:
- Scholarship committee coordination, scheduling, meetings, interviews, notes, agendas
- Liaison with high school counselors, scholarship candidates, and recipients
- Coordinating funds disbursement with funding agencies and colleges
Produces the quarterly membership newsletter:
- Coordinating, compiling & editing articles and photos
- Preparing newsletter including graphics, layout, publication, and distribution
Manages administrative office and building functions including:
- Computer, telephone, voicemail, office security, office maintenance
- Ticket sales and reservations
- General correspondence, mailings
- Supervising and training admin office volunteers
- Coordinating work orders for historic property maintenance
Represents the Historical Society:
- Assisting frequent office visitors, assessing needs, advising/referring (research, genealogy, historical resources, etc)
- Supporting needs of board of directors and program committee chairs
- Representing Executive Director and Program Director at community meetings and functions
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint), and Google Docs. Experience with Square, PayPal, Constant Contact, Word Press, Facebook, and Instagram is a plus.
- Two years of experience in a related office setting. Office manager background is strongly preferred.
- Flexibility to work evening and weekend events and meetings on a regular basis
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Highly organized and focused with strong planning and communication skills
- Self-starter able to anticipate needs and handle multiple concurrent tasks under pressure, including unpredictable changes
- Maturity and professionalism interacting with board members, donors, visitors, volunteers
- Event planning experience and knowledge of the New Bern community and history are a big plus
Submit resume and cover letter by email to NBHSExecDir@gmail.com or in hard copy to the office, 511 Broad Street, New Bern. Please do not use any other Historical Society email address. Resumes will be accepted until July 31 or until the position is filled.
For questions, please call 252.638.8558.