The New Bern Historical Society is hiring for a new position of Events and Programs Director.
This is a challenging full time position requiring night and weekend work. We are a very small office -- we work hard and have fun celebrating New Bern's amazing history.
All applications must be submitted through Indeed.com.
--Full time position; flexible schedule
--Salary $36-40K. Paid time off; no other benefits.
Plan and manage Historical Society fundraising events and educational programs under the direction of the Executive Director
1. Plan and coordinate programs and events including: Ghostwalk, Battlefield Adventure Day and living history programs, educational programs and presentations, Heritage Homes Tour, Hallowed Ground Lantern Tour, ABC Yard Sale, volunteer and member events, virtual programs and other special events.
2. Direct event timelines and staff and volunteer activities
3. Manage event venues, vendors, speakers/presenters, and participants (actors, homeowners, volunteers, guides, ticket sellers, etc)
4. Manage and/or chair volunteer event planning committees
5. Prepare event related materials (letters, invitations, posters, flyers, etc.)
6. Manage and produce post-event activity including after-action reviews, reports, and thanks
7. Manage, store, and share event/program photos
8. Prepare email campaigns for event updates
9. Work with Marketing Chair on event marketing, including social media
10. Assist Director with networking at civic, business, and social events to promote NBHS programs
Required Job Skills:
• Strong project management and organizational skills
• Strong computer skills; fluent in Word, Publisher, PowerPoint, and Excel
• Strong working knowledge of social media
• Familiarity with multimedia and AV equipment
• Passion for Historical Society mission
• Strong people skills -- able to relate well with members, volunteers, board members, and guests. Tactful and courteous under pressure.
• Able to manage a diverse group of volunteers
• Willing to work flexible schedule, including nights and weekends
• Strong communication and writing skills
• Collaborative worker on a small team where all employees assist each other outside defined roles
• Strong work ethic; self-starter
• Creative and energetic, flexible and adaptable to change
About New Bern Historical Society:
The Historical Society's mission is to celebrate and promote the history and heritage of New Bern and Craven County through educational programs, events, historic property stewardship, collections, and scholarship. Founded in 1923, NBHS is a membership-based nonprofit organization with no federal, state, or local funding. NBHS owns and maintains three historic homes and the 35-acre Battlefield Park, site of the Civil War Battle of New Bern. Annual educational programs and events include presentations, interactive programs, hands-on battlefield adventure day, walking tours, living history events, and historical storytelling via events such as the annual Ghostwalk. Current staff is one full-time Executive Director and two part-time employees; membership is over 1000 strong; active volunteer cadre is over 300.