27th Annual Ghostwalk
Thursday thru Saturday, October 26 – 28, 2017
A self-guided event in Historic Downtown New Bern
Ghostwalk is a family-friendly event that combines historic spirits, talented local volunteer actors, historic sites not normally open to the public, and a fun-filled, creative environment. It is NOT a haunted house!
Ghostwalk is a self-guided event that allows guests to step into New Bern’s past. This year you will meet many of the colorful and quirky characters who lived here throughout the centuries and continue to haunt our fair city. Your ticket contains your map with 13 ghost sites and 5 food sites for you to enjoy in any order you like.
Meet spirits at 13 different historic ghost haunts including homes, churches, and theatres. Enjoy the ghostly actors who will share their spirited stories in the very locations that their characters lived and visited. This year all of the ghosts sites except the cemetery are indoor sites.
At Cedar Grove Cemetery, candlelight will lead you on oyster shell paths as historic figures emerge from shadows to tell you their stories.
Enjoy a historically and hysterically funny skit involving the beloved Dowd family at the Attmore-Oliver House, home of the New Bern Historical Society. Buy home-baked treats at our Veri-Good Bakery on the Attmore-Oliver House grounds.
Delight in special Ghostwalk entertainment in the Historic Athens and Masonic Theatres presented by our partners from the New Bern Civic Theatre and RiverTowne Players.
Enjoy a meal or snack at one of our many partner churches, all listed on your ticket.
Your ticket is good for all three nights but Thursday offers limited hauntings (no homes, only the Attmore-Oliver House, cemetery, and two theatres). Please read your ticket closely for daily schedule and show times.
Auditions for historical spirits are August 3 at 7 pm at the Attmore-Oliver House, 511 Broad Street, New Bern. Novice or pros welcome — no previous acting experience required! No preparation or costumes needed — this is a cold reading. Auditions will be held in order of arrival. Call the office at 252.638.8558 for questions.
Ghostwalk 2017 is seeking VOLUNTEERS for Ghostly Greeters, Ticket sales, Guides, Bakers, and much more!
Must be prepared to work hard and have fun. Call 252.638.8558 for more information.
A look at last year’s Ghostwalk…..
October 27-29, 2016
26th Annual Historical Event
A self-guided event in Historic Downtown
Click on the thumbnails below to see the Ghostwalk 2016 brochure to see ticket prices & outlets:
Ghostwalk tickets are good for all 3 nights (see below):
Thursday, October 27, 2016
6:30-9:30 pm — limited hauntings:
- Cedar Grove Cemetery
- Athens Theatre (New Bern Civic Theatre)
- Masonic Theatre (RiverTowne Repertory Players)
- Attmore-Oliver House (for kids of all ages). Watch a fun-filled historic skit and stop by the Veri-Good Bakery for home-baked goodies!
Friday & Saturday, Oct 28-29, 2016
5:30-9:30 pm — hauntings everywhere! This year we will have 19 Ghostly Haunts throughout the Downtown Historic District. Note that with the exception of the cemetery and Tryon Palace, all ghost sites are INDOOR this year!
- Broad Street Christian Church, 802 Broad St.
- Tryon Palace Front Gate, Pollock St.
- John Curtis Bagg House, 609 Broad St.
- Ulysses S. Mace House, 518 Broad St.
- Henderson-Dunn-Birdsong House, 622 New St.
- Etta Ulrich Boarding House, 515 Metcalf St.
- St. Cyprians Episcopal Church, 604 Johnson St
- King Solomon’s Lodge, Queen & Howard Sts.
- Rhone Hotel, 512 Queen St.
- New Bern Central Fire Station, 402 Broad St.
- Isaac Taylor House, 228 Craven St.
- Burrus Simmons House, 417 E. Front St.
- Mitchell-Stevenson House, 211 Johnson St
- (The Second) Dr. Wm Hand Sr. House, 216 Johnson St.
- Cedar Grove Cemetery with five separate ghost vignettes
- Athens Theatre (New Bern Civic Theatre) featuring Mary Poppins and Thriller
- Masonic Theatre (RiverTowne Repertory Players) featuring James and the Giant Peach, Jr.
- Attmore-Oliver House featuring Ham Radio
Food and Drink sites open Friday and Saturday (consult your ticket/brochure for times, menus, and prices):
- Broad Street Christian Church
- St Peter’s AME Zion Church
- St Cyprian’s Epicopal Church
- Centenery United Methodist Church
- Christ Episcopal Church
- Old St. Paul Roman Catholic Church